In 1902 Cadbury established a Visitors Department to manage the large number of people wishing to visit the factory and village. Nearly 4,000 people visited in the first year to glimpse the world of George Cadbury through tours of the village and the factory.1 The marzipan cutting department was a very popular feature of the tour with visitors. There are many written accounts of these visits to Bournville, including journalistic accounts of the female workforce. In 1906, a Blackburn journalist described the ‘healthy looking work-lasses’ with their rosy complexions, playing on the romantic notion of rural working.
1 Iolo A. Williams, The Firm of Cadbury: 1831-1931 (London, 1931) p.90
Copyright information: Copyrights
to all resources are retained by the individual rights
holders. They have kindly made their collections available
for non-commercial private study & educational use.
Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted
subject to strict adherence to the guidelines in the Full
Terms and Conditions statement.